Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix XPs 5 user starter pack & SQL 2000 on Win 2K server

Status
Not open for further replies.

marhoul

IS-IT--Management
Jun 10, 2002
AU
Is this possible? Running a DELL Poweredge 1600SC with 2 GB P4, 512 MB RAM, 2 x 18 GB 10 RPM SCSI drives.

Will upgrade RAM to 1 GB.

I am being told that this is possible, but not recommended. What do you guys think?

The SQL is the backend for a Great Plains accounting system used by at most 3 people to support a company of 50 people.

2 LOCAL USERS AUSTRALIA
1 WAN USER VIA CITRIX IN CALIFORNIA

At most when time zones overlap there will be two users adding data etc. The third user (local) is the CFO so will rarely use it to get a report or two.

Citrix helpdesk told me they don't recommend it since SQL needs to run as a background service whereas Citrix invokes foreground services when the remote users connects. They say the remote user will have a very slugggish session.

We have a DSL 1.5 MB link which I have tested the Citrix over and it worked really well. That was stand alone using the accounting package as it is now on an old server.

Comments?

Thanks,

Mark

I would agree with the advice you have had from Citrix. I always recommend that a Terminal Server runs Terminal Services, and other servers run other services - especially hogs like databases.

However, given the light use that you intend for both services I can't see why not - if you keep an eye on things like processor and memory usage. Don't take this as me saying it's a good idea, though :)

However, if you plan to add Citrix users in time, then I would recommend a contingency plan so that the database can easily be moved to another server if necessary. This may upset things like client settings, so you may want to consider not only a database backup schedule, but a way of automatically delivering client updates should the backend database change. This can be simply scripted through *.reg updates, for example.

You may want to upgrade RAM to 2Gb - 1 may be a bit tight. No, really :)

CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back