Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix - TS Grace Period Expired

Status
Not open for further replies.

thankgodfortektips

Programmer
Dec 20, 2005
KY
Hi All,

I am new to citrix. We have it installed on a Windows 2003 server. All has been working fine for a good while now and then this week citrix is reporting.
"To Log on to this remote computer, you must have Terminal Server User Access permissions on this computer...."

So after trying all permissions possible I noticed an error 1008 which started this week also...
"The terminal server licensing grace period has expired and the service has not registered with a license server with installed licenses. A terminal server license server is required for continuous operation. A terminal server can operate without a license server for 120 days after initial start up."

To my knowledge you are not meant to install Terminal Service Licensing, but I do have Terminal Server ticked in Add/Remove component. I also thought that once citrix is installed that it would override the TS licensing.

I have searched high and low but not found anything to solve my issue...

Thanks in advance

thankgodfortektips,
There are multiple layers of licensing that you will have to address when deploying a terminal server environment.

The first one will be installing a Terminal License Server in your environment to hand out TSCal's to your clients. The TSCal is needed when a client connects to a Windows 2003 Terminal Server that is in "Application Mode" (meaning its a multiple user enviornment). If you don't install one in your environment...you will have 180 days to install, configure and active one before your TSCal licenses will become inactive.

The second one will be your Citrix licenses. You'll need a single server license (Citrix Standard, Advanced or Enterprise) and then your concurrent user license.

On top of that..you will have to ensure you have enough application licenses (ie...Office Suite licenses) before you install that particular application on your Citrix server.

It sounds like you haven't installed a Terminal License Server in your enviornment. You will have to have a Windows 2003 Server (does not have to be Citrix server) to hand out your TSCal licenses. You do have to purchase these licenses and they will give you an activation code with the number of licenses. Once you do that...you will have to tell your Citrix/TS servers where to go get this TSCal licenses.
You can do this by modifying the registry in this spot:

Make sure you have the same mode configured both in your Terminal License Server and on your Citrix/TS server (per client/per device....I recommend per device).

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back