Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix Server Reboots Unexpectedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdamore

IS-IT--Management
Sep 4, 2001
US
I am running Citrix XPa release 2 on a Win2k server sp3 with dual processors and 2.5Gb of memyory I have a farm with 3 citrix servers in it.
My one citrix server will reboot at least twice a day, but most time just once. It will stay up all weekend. I am leaning toward a utilization issue but have not been able to track anything down. Even logs tell me nothing. I am running MS Office and MRI (Management Reports International) it is an accounting program. I have about 30-35 users on this server. My other servers seem to be fine but not as many users. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

Hi sdamore

This is going to sound far too obvious but are you sure that there is no user with administrative rights that shouldn't have them?

We had a problem last year where our server rebooted unexpectedly, and there was nothing in the event log. After a day or two of head scratching, we noticed that one user had been assigned admin rights and was shutting down the server instead of logging out!

Sorry if that seems patronising but I thought I should mention it...

Scott, if the event log isn't helping you because the problem is happening after the last log message was written and the actual shut down, there is a tool that monitors server activity at a much more granular level. This tool can be set to collect data (apps running, users running those apps, perfmon counter levels, disk counters, nic counters, etc.) at 1 second intervals if needed. Once you diagnose the problem you can set the collection internal back to 15 seconds (the default). The tool is called the "Blackbox Data Recorder" and it is used in the same way you have heard a tool with the same name used for the airline industry. If you wwould like more information, please e-mail me at: kapski@yahoo.com

I have looked at that. No user had administrator privs.

Happened here as well; whenever a certain user tried to logon to Citrix from his laptop the server would reboot. We looked at every setting but could not find out why this was happening.

We fixed it by having him stop logging on from that laptop.

We had this on a several compaq servers. The server would all of a sudden reboot and nothing was writen to the event logs. We were standing near it one day and happen to see what was going on. There was a blue screen and a quick reboot.

You can see if this is your issue my setting it to NOT reboot after a Dump is completed under "system" in the control panel.

Scott,

We had the same problem on a Compaq server. After spending a few weeks trouble shooting, we replaced non compaq memory in server with expensive compaq memory and problem went away. Do you have Compaq memory in server?

We had the same prob with a IBM server.
The problem was a service of IBM that was running, we just had to disable it and the problem was resolved.
The service begun with something like "IBM service reboot..." or something like that.

Hi there, had the same sisue. Finally narrowed it down to a printer issue. one user, when they'd connect (this was a remote connection), had an HP Deskjet 970. When the system tried to autocreate the printer, it went nuts and would blue screen, and then reboot. Are you getting a blue screen with the reboot, or it just up and happens? Went in an played with the printer file, and it decided it wanted to behave itself. Hope it helps. Rich

hi,

we have the same problem and i can say it is caused of printer drivers. we use hp printer drivers for win2k and win nt 4 and i am sure this causes a lot of problems.

we try now to use on our mf servers only win2k printer drivers. this should stop the bsod.

sorry i can't post a solution for the problem but perhaps it helps to know where the problem could come from :)

Hi Scott.

We had the same problem as you, first thing i did was disable the dump feature on our terminal servers, as the server would auto reboot everytime we had a blue screen or even if something bothered the server.

Recently we have had a hanging problem on our servers, which alot of Citrix admins have been complaining about, one thing i noticed was everyone complains about w2k/sp3 and feature release 2. Our problems started when we upgraded to feature release 2 aswell. I have very recently gone back to FR1 via CMC. 36 hours OK AND COUNTING.

Check your printers - use no driver that is not certified and if possible do not use client mapped printers. Then you'll be able to chill all day....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back