Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix printing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

cderow

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
US
Hello,
I am having a problem with a local printer not being able to print from our Citrix server. The printer is an HP Laserjet 1000 (connected via USB port) and when printing from the computer it works great. However, when connecting to the Citrix server, Citrix is able to recreate the printer on login, but when we go to print, I get an error saying that there was an error printing to the printer. I know that the connection is good because I went to the command prompt and was able to print by entering: dir >lpt1. However, when I go to print from notepad, I get a "handle is invalid" error. Also, when I print form our accounting software that is installed on the Citrix server, there is no response from either the printer or the computer. The document is never entered in to the queue. This thing is driving me nuts, so if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.
I am running Citrix Metaphrame XPa with Windows 2000 server. Do or do not, there is no try.
-Yoda

>> (connected via USB port) << That might be your problem right there. Have you tried this via LPT yet to see if you are having the same issues?

Also, the driver you are using... Is it the standard driver that comes on the Windows 2000 media or did you download this particular driver from the manufacturers website or use the drivers that come with the printer? A lot of drivers you might get from a printer manufacturers website (regardless of how &quot;up to date&quot; they are) could have problems with multiuser network printing in Citrix.

The drivers that come on the Windows 2000 CD are all certified by Microsoft to run in a multiuser environment without flaws (well... they are supposed to anyway).

Regardless, if a driver for that model didn't come on the win2K CD, I'd try and find a compatable driver from a different model that is on the Win2K CD. Also, you might want to try using the Universal printer driver.

Although I've heard claim from people that USB printing is working for them in Citrix, I'd stick to LPT if at all possible.

Good Luck!

Christopher R. Crossen
MCT, MCSE, MCP+I, CNA, A+
crc2798@bjc.org

The drivers that I had installed first where the drivers that came on the manufacturer's CD. It printed great.... for a day. I then went and installed the printer with the Win2K drivers and that wasn't working for us. I went back to the CD and still no positive results. I, too, think it is an issue with the USB port, but if it was printing before, why would there be an issue now? Do or do not, there is no try.
-Yoda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back