Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix Per Session Bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeBatters

Technical User
Jan 13, 2005
GB
I have lots of Citrix sites which run "Published Desktop" implementations of Citrix.

The majority of them run happily using 25-35 Kbps bandwidth per session. I do however have a couple of sites that report slow performance when typing when they have 35K per session and the bandwidth is capped at that.

What bandwidth utilisation (not including audio/video/client mapped drives or printers) expirence does everyone else think is required if a user was to run full screen Word and type at a fast pace?

Look foward to hearing someinteresting responses as usual....

Mike

Remember - There is always another way..........

[yinyang]

Hi Mike,

ICA will use what ever bandwidth is available. However it can run with decreasing amounts. Obviously it will affect performance, if it doesnt get what it wants.

However your question is interesting, as in my opinion it would require )k other than what you have specified. Having said that there will be some handshaking going on and keep alives etc. But I would not imagine that being greater that say 5-10k.

What I have found, in the past is that people are just not aware of what other traffic is on their network gobbling up that nice fat soggy string. And in fact how much of it there is.

[blue] Oh you know, just doing what I do.[/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Scott,

It was more from the practical point of view really. I have got both these networks nice and clean (PacketShapers) and well under control.

When eveything is connected and idle BW usage drops to less than 1K per user in each direction which is what it has always done.

What is a little more unexpected is that if is put a Rate Control policy in place on the PacketShaper with a guarentee of 25K per session and then a burstable limit up to 35K per session the users see some lag when typing.

All they are doing is typing in Word running full screen, no silly actors, animations or any other bandwidth eating stuff yet they can still be 4 - 5 words ahead of the display. Leave the guarentee in place, and remove the burstable maximum so that they can use as much BW as they like and the problem is solved.

QED : Typing needs more than 35Kbps.......really???? (i think not unless the ICA protocol has just got really PHAT).

Any thoughts.

Mike

Remember - There is always another way..........I just haven't found out what it is yet!

[yinyang]

Indeed Mike, more likley word got more bloatey. I have seen some Office use up to 50Kbps...... QED your PHAT, but I don't think it got PHQAT, I think it just isn't as this as they like to claim. What happens with RDP ?

Cheers
Scott

RDP has always been themost erratic of protocols when you look at it through the PacketShapers.

I have been running more and more reporting and it appears that the problem may be more to do with single Packet latency rather than overall bandwidth utilisation.

Mike

Remember - There is always another way..........I just haven't found out what it is yet!

[yinyang]

Interesting, could you keep us informed as to your progress.

Cheers
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back