Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix newbie - system down questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

teqmod

Technical User
Sep 13, 2004
US
So we have this citrix farm set-up. No one really uses it and it is being tested a little. No one here really knows much about it except that it used to work. I wanted to start learning a bit about it but it is currently down and there are a few errors in the event log of what I believe is the license server. The errors are as follows:

System Log:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: MetaFrame
Event Category: None
Event ID: 9014
Date: 7/26/2006
Time: 4:00:52 PM
User: N/A
Computer: Server
Description:
The licenses required by this edition of MetaFrame Presentation Server are not present on the license server.

Event Source: MetaFrame
Event ID: 19
Date: 7/26/2006
Time: 4:20:07 PM
Description:
The system has reached its licensed logon limit. Please try again later.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
Application Log:
Event Source: WSH
Event ID: 1
Date: 7/28/2006
Time: 10:38:08 AM
Description:
Citrix Monitoring Script Event 2
Citrix MetaFrame Session In Down State:
WMI error checking sessions:
Received error: 0x80041013: Provider load failure

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
Can anyone tell me where I need to start looking to try to resolve theis issue and recommend a book on Citrix for administrators.

It seems like your terminal server farm expects to find licenses for Presentation Server. First of all, you have to locate the license server which your servers are supposed to use. If you have a presentation server installation ... this is either one of the terminal servers in your farm or a separate server ... that has the license service installed. Next you have to check if this license server is up and running ... and if it is ... which type of licenses it holds. If you are certain that your terminal server farm is pointing at the correct license server, then you can compare the edition of your licenses with the edition of presentation server installed. If you for instance have presentation server enterprise edition on your servers ... while the license server only has licenses for the advanced edition ... downgrade your servers to the correct edition and it should work.

Give me some details on this one ... and I should help you troubleshoot it :)

OK, I know which machine is the license server. I go to Start->programs->Citrix->License Management console and a web page comes up with "You did not authenticate correctly. Please try again or contact your system administrator."
I have restarted the Citrix Licensing and Citrix licensing WMI services on this machine. The license is less than a year old so I am pretty certain it is valid. The license server is not one of the terminal servers in the farm but it is a web server serving other web pages. How can I determine which type of license it holds?

I found a Citrix article on the license management console error and have resolved that. According to the console I have Citrix Presentation Server Enterprise 25 licenses none in use and 5000 Citrix Start-up licenses.

Yeah the 5000 Citrix Start-up license is normal in the presentation server series. I just performed an upgrade from Citrix XPs 1.0 to Presentation 4 and it was confusing at first. The old XP series had different server licenses. Now, you only need to buy user licenses. The server license is included up to 5000 servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back