Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix Metaframe XP Print Spooler, startup job issues, etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

hubcap1324

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2003
US
We have a 1 server Citrix Metaframe XP with SP4 box that has started having issues with pretty much all things that should happen at startup. Here is the list:
1. Print spooler crashes several times a day and eats 50% (or more) of the cpu most of the time
2. Printer autocreation frequently fails, works sometimes, I manually execute cmstart on the user's citrix desktop and that usually resolves the problem
3. We have a bat file that refuses to run a lot of the time at startup. This bat file maps needed network drives. Used to work fine, now it pops up intermittently. When it runs it works though
4. Users sometimes get a blank desktop and it may sit there for 20 minutes sometimes before loading icons etc.
5. I installed sp3 and then sp4 last night to see if that would help things. It did not change a thing. And now when users logon a cmd.exe box sits there with an H:\ prompt blinking at you (H is each user's home drive). You have to close this command window before the desktop appears.

I appreciate any help. Users are starting to get a little frustrated and all we can come up with are band aids.

Thanks

The starting point for this type of issue is to remove printer drivers that are not certified for Terminal Services or all of them completely and if you have to start putting them back one at a time.

Metaframe XP is very susceptible to bad print drivers.

But you seem to also be having other issues. Start by examining when the spooler crashes and what printers were just created and who logged on.

This style of issue can also be caused by antivirus software.

No easy solution, trial and error.

Colin

Your Life & Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back