Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix Client & Windows Vista Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyshriver

Technical User
Dec 25, 2004
US
Greetings - Earlier today, I was handed an employee's personal laptop and told by the boss to install a Citrix client on it. We run Presentation Server 4.5FR1 on a Win2K server box, and I have had no problems with any operating system except for Vista SP1. I have installed clients on all other machines running anything from Win98 up to XPSP3, as well as Mac OS 10 with no problems. In a typical case, I would launch the client, watch the progress bar extend halfway across it's dialog box as the client was attempting to connect. Then, I would get an error message just like the message displayed when trying to improperly close the desktop (rather than logging out of Citrix) akin to, "The action you have taken will close your Citrix session. Do you really want to end your Citrix Session?" Regardless of whether the OK or Cancel button is pushed, another error message stating that a license server cannot be contacted is displayed. Is this a Vista interoperability issue? The Windows and McAfee firewalls were both disabled during the installation process and login attempt.

I do hope that someone has a solution to this issue (other than driving over the computer and pocketing the insurance proceeds!). Thank you in advance.

Weird one....I access Citrix server/apps from my Vista Business SP1 laptop all the time.

Did you install the client "as administrator"? Right click it and select "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR".

Have you tried launching PN in the same manner?

What version of Vista is this laptop running? What version of the client did you install?

-- Jason
"It's Just Ones and Zeros

Jason,
As it turns out, the issue is not limited to Vista. I posted the entire scenario on the Citrix Knowledge Base ( ) but, as yet, to no avail. I am curious as to whether making the citrix server a member server in a domain could have caused this problem, but this problem only occurs when I am trying to install the client onto new computers. Computers having had the client installed prior to the onset of this issue do not have trouble connecting. I thank you for your response, and I look forward to reading your take on this issue.

The only thing that seems to correspond is this error from the System Event Log:
Source: TermService
Type: Warning
EventID: 1004
User: N/A
Description: The terminal server cannot issue a client license.
Again - there is no problem with machines that had the client installed prior to this issue. The License Server, Terminal Server and Presentation Server are all on the same box with the same IP Address. I merely joined this server to the domain, as I am in the process of migrating our files, data and apps from an aging Netware server to a W2k3 server running AD.
Thank you for your time and effort.

Jason,
Going down the list on the page at the link you sent, here is what I found:
1. There were no unused sessions in TSMan.
2. The account with which I installed and configured the client is an administrator account.
3. I deleted the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSLicensing key and re-booted the client - no joy.
4. Licenses are being obtained from a Win2000 Server (the server on which Citrix is running), not Win2003.
5. No permission changes to client registry have been made.

What I believe happened is that when I joined the Citrix server to the domain, the TS Licensing Service stopped running. I opened the Services snap-in and saw that this service was not running (automatic startup). When I tried to start the service it failed to start. In the System Event log, I found the following:
1. Source: TermServLicensing
2. EventID: 29
3. Description: Terminal Services Licensing can only be run on Domain Controllers or Server in a Workgroup. See Terminal Server Licensing help topic for more information.

This evening, after all remote users are logged out, I am going to remove this server from the domain and see what happens. I have a feeling that I am going to have to install the License Server on the Win2003 server, as it is the Domain Controller - your thoughts?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back