Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix Apps Acting Funny

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoderickM

IS-IT--Management
May 14, 2002
US
Running Citrix MetaFrameXP, on two W2K servers in a farm. Users are able to successfully authenticate to an application but the session is never published to the user.

On the users Program Neighborhood Connections Center an active session to the server is listed but the application is not listed.

Via the Citrix Management Console the user is listed as having a session to the application.

If the user attempts to start another instance of the application they are prompted with a message that they can't start another session because they have an active session.

Any input would be helpful.

Try shadowing them. Also, check all of the client settings, I assume you are using the ICA Client rather than the RDP?

Yes, we are using ICA, but I do not think that the issue is coming from the client settings, because we have two citrix servers with different published applications and we are not having any issues with those applications using the same clients.

Can they get to a desktop with no problem? If so, can they then run a published app?

The clients are authenticated with no problems but when they select a published application the applications never starts.

Still, forget applications for now. See if you can get to a desktop. You can then fire up the Citrix neighborhood, and try to run an app from there!

JohnTcolo

Per your suggestion I published the Citrix desktop.

I was able to authenticate, and the base desktop window was displayed with the default MS blue background, but the desktop is not actually available.

A previous application finally was published to me about an hour after authentication.

By the way I'm working with RoderickM.

Hmmm, I assume you have rebooted the server. What is in your event logs? And are your connections coming thru a LAN or WAN?

We have reboot a few different times. There are no error events related to the applications the user is attemptint to connect to or related to the user.

The users are accessing via the LAN and internet.

Note my desktop session eventually connected after about a hour. I was able to run all the applications in question.

If this helps I am having the exact same issue. I have to disconnect my session through the connection center and everything finally comes up. Its almost like the apps are stuck and disconnecting them triggers them to come alive. On a side note, when we use NFuse it all works perfectly.

sounds like it is taking a long time to load the user profile
are you using roaming profiles?
Where are your profiles stored?
how big are the user profiles?

I do not have a roaming profile on my admin account and the problem still exists.

You mentioned you are running Citrix XP..is that FR3?? I had the same problem with the newest client and FR3. In the Management Console...go to the published app and right click and select properties...in the column..look at "ICA Client Options" over on the right..put a check in the box to "start this application without waiting for printers to be created"...click ok.and try your application now.

Let me know

I've had the exact same problem not long ago and it turned out that Metaframe was corrupted on one of my servers. One way to test is to pull it out of the farm into it's own farm and try to publish something simple like 'Notepad'. I ended up uninstalling Metaframe XP, reinstalling it and rejoining the original farm. Everthing worked after I did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back