Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix and Terminal Services Licensing: The final scoop!!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhafer

IS-IT--Management
Mar 14, 2001
US
I have done a lot of research in regards to the licensing issue with Citrix and Terminal Services CALs, and now I am more confused then ever! Can someone please, once and for all, shed some light on the issue? Do we need Terminal Service CALs when running Citrix? Here is my environment:

1) Server: Windows 2003 Server
2) Citrix: MetaFrame XP w/ 50 CALs
3) Workstations: 90% run Windows XP Pro

I have the automated evaluation licenses about to expire and I need to know what to do.

Thanks,
Ben

Windows 2000 pro and XP pro get a free TS cal, when connected to a windows 2000 TS server.
As from 2003 TS server ALL clients require a ts cal.

A TS cal is either per device or per user (which in the real world ends up being a named cal)
Citrix uses concurrent cals farmwide.

If you don't mind downgrading the servers to 2000, it would be your cheapest setup, as 90% of your clients will not require the 100$ TS cal.

After the grace period ANY terminal server will stop servicing if no TS license server (whether or not with ts cals loaded) is setup and activated.

Stefan

Sorry to break it to you Microsoft got more greedy with Windows 2003 Terminal server.

Windows 2000 PRO and XP NO LONGER get a free TS CAL. That was only with Windows 2000 Terminal server.

There is an exemption to this though if you purchased the XP before the release of 2003 Server you can enter the OEM into a website Microsoft has setup and it will give you a valid CAL for TS. I'll try to find the website for you.

Jeff

Bhafer...

Here is some current info on the licensing in FAQ style.

And here is that site if you have any XP Cals that were purchased around April 2003 or earlier plug them in and see if it works. Otherwise your in desperate need of getting licensed. But to clarify YOU DO NEED TS CALS to RUN CITRIX.

Jeff

Looks like I'm building out a new Citrix server with Windows 2000 Server instead.

Thanks to you both! No wonder I was confused.

Regards,
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back