Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Citrix and Remote application 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oublie

Programmer
Jun 7, 2000
GB
Hi, We are trying to run a reporting application from an application running on citrix. (sorry im not a citrix expert) the problem we have is that the reporting application uses crystal reports which is not supported on our terminal server / citrix environment. is it possible to call an application from another machine eg nt server and still have it displayed to the citrix users. The application itself gets called by another app that currently runs on the citrix machine. I would really appreciate any help or suggestions you could offer as this is a major issue with our software.

Crystal reports is not supported but runs fine in a Citrix Metaframe/Windows 2k/NT4.0 TSE environment. I have been deploying Citrix servers for 7 yrs and have had to tweak the installation of Crystal Reports, but have always gotten it to work. Major item is to put the crystal reports in the path so that it can be found. otherwise it looks for Crystal in the wrong place.

Any other questions can be directed to
lloyd.witt@chi.vector.com

Depends what version of Crystal Reports you're running - 8.5 installs and runs perfectly, as long as you drop to a cmd prompt and type change user /install first - and Crystal Enterprise MUST be installed before CR, if you want ePortfolio etc. to work properly.

Older versions of CR require the crystal dlls folder contents to be copied to %systemroot%\system32. I have heard from others that path variables and ini files have had to be updated - but I've never had to go that far (with Crystal, at least).

The method you suggest of chaining the app to another server would probably work - but would not necessarily be a supported configuration either. I would also suspect that performance may not be wonderful.

My opinion is that installing CR on the Citrix server is the way to go. Especially if you can persuade your managers to upgrade to 8.5 - if the app you are using can handle it, that is.

My recommendation, as always is do it on the test server first :)

Hope this is helpful - good luck! CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

If you do not want to install CryRep on the citrix server but you need to work with cyrstal reports, you can also try to copy all the nescessary (or all) crystal reports dll's to the wtsrv\system32 folder. That way the application that uses cryrep knows how to create the reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back