Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco's Internal Flash vs Compact Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderum

IS-IT--Management
Jul 15, 2010
US
Hello,

I just purchased a Cisco 3845 Router and I'm very confused as to where the IOS and NVRAM should exists. I'm used to the older Cisco routers (3662 routers) where the NVRAM and boot existed on the Internal Flash. With this new router, I do not know which one of the below devices are the "Internal Flash."

When I ran the 'dev' command, I get the following devices:

rommon 2 > dev
flash: compact flash
bootflash: boot flash
usbflash0: usbflash0
usbflash1: usbflash1
eprom: eprom

Which one of the above devices should be used as default (Internal Flash) for booting the IOS?

Currently, the IOS Image lives on the compact flash, but when I boot from compact flash, the router's fan runs overtime and loud - it seems that the router does not like booting from compact flash.

Is eprom the Internal Flash? if yes, can I use the copy command to copy the IOS Image to the eprom? And once I copy the image, how do I tell the Cisco boot loader to boot from the right device?

Thanks for your help,
Bernie

I've a few 2800 series in the lab, and we have a host of 3845's at work.

The 2800/3800's only have the one flash:, which is the removable CF card. There is no separate internal on-board flash. As for the fans sounding like a wind tunnel, that is normal at boot time, but they do throttle down after 1-2 mins (all mine do anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back