Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Wireless Problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjjax

MIS
Sep 25, 2002
US
We recently setup a wireless network in our warehouse using Cisco 350 Access Points and for the most part, things work fine. But, maybe once a every other day, it seems to come to a crawl for an hour to 2 hours then it suddenly picks back up and works fine. We have about 40 AP's in the building and it seems when they hang, they all do. I even have a test one in the office going into it's own switch and the pc is only a few feet away and that has the same problem. I don't think it's anything inside the building because it's at different times and not every day and it doesn't seem to be a particular switch or AP plus our wired network works fine. We are close to an airport, can that possible cause problems or anything ideas? Thanks, Joe

Try using the spectrum analyzer/ channel busy test on one of the AP's when you are having the problem. You may find ALL 11 channels swamped/busy with noise.
We had a problem with what we think was a bluetooth phone or PDA that swamped our network from 8 am to 5 pm for a week. It dissapeared but we think it may have been a vistor from another one of or locations or a contractor here for the week. We never found the device but the problem you describe reeks of what we experienced. Purhaps since this is a warehouse the truck drivers are showing up with a device that interferes, making it a random problem that lasts as long as it takes to empty/fill the truck.
Hope that helps...
p.s.
We bought a 2.4ghz spectrum analyzer that attaches to your USB port that scans the entire band looking for noise(interferance) It has removable antennas so you can add attenuation or add a directional antenna. I'll chase down the model and repost...

Thanks for your reply. I will try the test next time it happens and let you know. I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know that info about the one you bought. Thanks again.

Sorry, one more thing if you know, can you run the Carrier Busy Test using the vxworks version or is only available for ios? I can see it under ios but not vx? Thanks again, Joe

In VXworks go to - Setup > Network Ports Diagnostics > Radio Diagnostic Tests > Carrier Test
At least it's that way in version 11.23 on our 350 bridges.
We converted all our 1200's to IOS so I can't verify the selections there. (If you can do the upgrade to IOS, you should)

Our spectrum unit is out on location. I'll email the tech with it and get that info...

Thanks, I just found it. We will be upgrading everyhting to ios. Just curious but were you able to solve your issues? What did it end up being? Thanks again, Joe

We never solved our issue. Whatever was causing the problem left mysteriously at 5pm one friday afternoon. This is why we suspect it may have been a bluetooth device.
There was a delay in getting the spectrum analyzer. Some nonsense about having budget approval. ;-) We got it a few weeks after that... Another possibility may be the old 802.11 Frequency hopping nics. We have one here(a Symbol 24). I may just fire it up and scan and see what havoc I can wreek with it...

What spectrum analyzer did you buy? We've been looking for one to do just what you described...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back