Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Wireless Controller IP addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

insureme

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2008
US
I've got two Cisco wireless LAN Controllers. a 4402 and a 5508. we are restructuring our network, and i'm trying to figure out the best way to change the management, and ap manager interfaces to a different vlan. I've tried simply changing their addresses, which did not work. anyone have any advice on how to do this. also, is is possible to run a DHCP server from the LAN controller on one SSID, but use a different DHCP server from a Windows Domain Controller on another SSID? i have not had any luck getting this to work either, even with the DHCP server override option.

I never had any problems changing the ip's of a interface( didn't it much though), but some times the web interface doesn't respond the way you want to.

Try changing the ip through the cli interface maybe that will do.

DHCP are not active on a SSID, but on a vlan interface. So as long as the SSID's do not use the same vlan interfaces you can use both ways of dhcp.
I want to dis-advice the use of the dhcp on the controller. I had a lot of problems with it.

so what you're saying is if i change the management interface in the CLI (my preferred method anyway), there should be no disconnect with the access points. how do the access points know where their controller is once this is done. as i said, i did do this once before, and the access points all lost connection to the WLC. do i need to do anything to refresh the APs knowledge of where the controller is? i know our AP's are statically assigned and we have to manually join them by issuing a command to tell them where their controller is. would i need to go to each device to issue this command? Another thought I had was to enable high availability, and set the secondary controller for the AP to the new Ip address? is any of that necessary?

Thanks,
Beer

Hmmm never used static assignments in the AP's when I used a WLC. I did some reading in documents.
I found that it is possible to give the AP's a static assignment, but they give no further detail on what can/must be configured.

I guess that when static assignment is used there will be a configuration in the AP that points out where the WLC can be found so in that case you'll probably have to reconfigure every AP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back