Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco VPN Error during install on Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvolden

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2005
US
Hello,

I am attempting to install the Cisco VPN client 5.0.01.0600-k9 on Vista Home Premium. Part of the install goes fine but during the part where is says installing selected featurs: Deterministic Network Enhancer it will error out with "Dneinst execution error while installing DNE, returncode- 517799898"

This is happening on two laptops both running the same version of Vista. I have an identical laptop, an HP DV2000 that it installed on with out any problems.

I have been searching the nest for solutions but have not found anything that has helped.

Does nay one have any ideas or suggestions. If there is any information you need please ask and I'll provide.

Thank you!

I have heard of uninstalling it and reinstalling (maybe 2 or more times) will fix this.
Vista sux!

Burt

I completly agree, Vist is rather worthless. Unfortunantly these are not my laptops so I can't install XP.

I haven't actually been able to install the client to un-install it. It's not showing up in the Add/Remove programs, or what ever it is Vista calls it.

Is there something I am overlooking with the uninstall part of your solution?

Thank you!

Sorry---I misread...thought you had installed it, but got errors when you tried to use it.

Burt

Vista ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it. And the Cisco VPN client works well.

This is what I would do:

1) Uninstall the cisco client (from the control panel->under programs and whatever else it's called-> find the cisco client and uninstall).

IF the client hasn't complete an install, #1 above may not work, as it's not properly installed and not all registry entries have been written yet.

2) Run regedit from Start->Run-> regedit. Do a search for Cisco. Delete thiose entries you KNOW belong to the cisco client.

3) Oncce done with the registry cleanup, find the cisco folder on your laptop and delete it.

4) I would download and run your registry cleaner of choice to make sure cisco is really, completely gone.

5) Defrag your hd.

6) Attempt to re-install the Cisco client.

Also, check the event logs for any hints as to why the install fails.

Like I said, I LOVE vista and have the Cisco client loaded on my Gateway laptop. Installed w/o any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back