Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco VPN DHCP Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenriz

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2001
I am have a huge issue with the Cisco 3005 VPN concentrator. According to Cisco, we have exhausted all workarounds and is now listed as unsolvable... Kind of unacceptable to me, especially coming from Cisco. When logged into the VPN concentrator via the internet using the Cisco provided VPN client (v3.0.2), some software, not all but some, can only see the ISP provided IP address.... NOT the IP address provided by the internal DHCP server which we would expect to happen.... Thus our software that is licensed to only run on a certain IP address will not run complaining that the client does not have an authorized IP address. It appears that some software is incapable of recognizing Cisco's new Deterministic Network Enhancer that it uses to provide the DHCP provided IP address. When you do an ipconfig, I would expect to see the new address but noooo, it only returns the ISP provided IP address. Anyone else have this problem or can anyone think of a workaround for us? ... besides returning this thing..... Thanks!
Steve

We're using Cisco 3000 series VPN concentrators, and the Cisco client software. It all works great. I'm a little confused by your question -- you are trying to get a PC that got one address from the ISP's DHCP server to turn around and get another address from your internal DHCP server? I'm not surprised that the Cisco software doesn't do that. That sounds kind of like an unnatural act for your average Windows OS. I suppose that if the remote client PC is always remote (ie not a laptop that comes on to your intranet) you could get the ISP to issue a fixed IP address. It would probably cost the remote user more $$. Then you could register that fixed IP address with your software and it would work, no? HTH

Correct it is more then the OS can handle. But why support DHCP on the internal network you are trying to connect to? That doesn't make any sense. I would think this scenereo. If the VPN client has support for internal DHCP services, that would mean it has the capability of assigning the VPN client an internal IP address ON TOP of the one assigned to the client by the ISP. Regardless, we figured out a workaround which was to install the Microsoft loopback adapter and assigned that adapter the correct licensed IP address which works just fine. Thanks for responding!
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back