Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco VPN Client with W7-64bit just connects, not more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuihui

Technical User
May 9, 2010
CH
Following situation: At home I have 1 W-XP and 1 new W7 64-bit computer.
On both I have installed “Cisco VPN Client 5.0.07.0290”. I connect to different places (customers and my company using this VPN ‘method’ from Cisco). On XP everything works fine. On the new W7-64bit connection works fine, means I get an address assigned. But that’s it, no further communication possible to any of the foreseen networks /computers. Situation drives me crazy, want to throw out the old and very slow XP machine. Anyone having similar problems or having some experience already with Cisco’s VPN Client W7-64bit ?
Looking forward to any suggestion.

This is from the Cisco site

Only 32-bit Windows support is available in the Cisco VPN Client. For 64-bit (x64) Windows support, customers must upgrade to the next-generation Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client.
Refer to Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client Maintain and Operate Guides.

What you mean with this information? That it's not supposed to run under 64bit? Fact is that Cisco launched this VPN-Client version specially for 64bit !

AnyConnect is for an SSL VPN, not a remote access IPSEC VPN.

What device is acting as the VPN server? Is it an IPSEC remote access or an SSL VPN?

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

I don't know the servers, but as I use the "VPN-Client" and connect with IPSEC using the profile definitions, it's a IPSEC VPN I assume. I also have a VPN-AnyConnect installed for conecting to another customer (which is working fine under W7 64bit). But as burtsbees says, this is not compatible with my IPSEC over UDP transport.

Sounds like a file and printer sharing issue with Windows to me. Definitely a Windows problem, but it could be the client 64 bit version...

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Interesting thing, in same home network, one of my kids W7 32bit machine has no problems dealing with Cisco's VPN client throughout to the customers machine.
Also interesting, trace routing on my 64bit machine to same customer machine is by-passing the tunnel and going out to the internet world (Japan to be accurate) (IP is a 182.x.x.x address). But routing table itself looks OK ...

I got fed up with Cisco. I installed VPN Client For Windows from Shrew Soft. With its Access Manager you can even import Cisco profiles (pcf-extension). All of my Cisco VPN-connections are working now .... using Shrew. Not a good reputation ..... for Cisco.
So for me the problem is solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back