Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco VPN Client v4.0 to Netgear FVS318 v1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its2cool

IS-IT--Management
Sep 4, 2003
US
This is part of their premium support package BUT I don't feel like giving money to Netgear Technical Support when they should be providing this information documentation/service to us for free. Can anyone provide me with any sort of documentation on how to configure a VPN connection using the Cisco VPN Client v4.0 to a Netgear FVS318 (firmware v1.4). The Cisco Client is running on a Windows XP Pro box.

What is your cisco vpn client version ? I got one that can only support 3DES and SHA only....

Here is the version text from the "About" window:
-Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.0(Rel)
-Client Types(s): Windows,WinNT

I don't want to pay Netgear $XX per minute just to tell me that it won't work.

--------------

According to the help file under "VPN Client IPSec Attributes", The VPN Client supports the IPSec attributes listed below:

Authentication algorithms
-HMAC (Hashed Message Authentication Coding) with MD5 (Message Digest 5) hash function
-HMAC with SHA-1 (Secure Hash Algorithm) hash function

Authentication Modes
-Preshared Keys
-X.509 Digital Certificates

Diffie-Hellman Groups

Encryption algorithms
-56-bit DES (Data Encryption Standard)
-168-bit Triple-DES
-AES 128-bit and 256-bit

Extended Authentication (XAUTH)
-The capability of authenticating a user within IKE. This authentication is in addition to the normal IKE phase 1 authentication, where the IPSec devices authenticate each other. The extended authentication exchange within IKE does not replace the existing IKE authentication.

Mode Configuration
-Also known as ISAKMP Configuration Method

Tunnel Encapsulation Modes
-IPSec over UDP (NAT/PAT)
-IPSec over TCP (NAT/PAT)
-IPSec over NAT-T

IP compression (IPCOMP) using LZS
-Data compression algorithm

I've given it a quick try using a 3.6.3 and v1.3 setup but didn't get much of anything. One would assume that it could be done but I can't burn any more time on this... I'd love to hear about any info, configs that people get on this though.

Side note, is the VPN v4 a free download? I have not been able to find it anywhere or any reference to it for purchase or free...

//RB

Thanks for trying.... I just dowloaded V4.0.2(D), updated on Aug 28th, and it is not a free download. As Cisco states: Customers with SMARTnet(tm) support contracts and encryption entitlement may download the VPN Client free of charge at the following URL:

Although IPSec is a standard I don´t think the VPN client will connect to non-cisco devices. I believe it was designed to work with Cisco devices only. In case you want to give it a try, it does aggressive mode only and it does not suport the DES-SHA combination, but it supports SHA with 3DES. AES is also supported on recent releases. I don´t think the TAC supports the VPN client with non-cisco devices but I may be wrong. Any feedback guys?

Has anyone come up with an answer to this or a solution. I am dealing with the exact same senerio. Thanks.

just buy the netscreen client -- 10 users for $85.

//RB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back