Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco VPN client how to configure it to be used with SOHO routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolseley

Technical User
Sep 26, 2007
AU
Hi

I have got different clients with different SOHO routers on sites (Netgear , Linksys, SnapGear,,,,etc)

All those clients use VPN IPSec .

As you know that those routers has many entries :

Tunnel name

key lifetime

Preshared Secret

Phase 1 proposal

Phase 2 Proposal ,,,,,etc

I am trying to familiarize myself to use different VPN clients (a piece of software ) , that will be installed on clients’ laptops to access their work network from home

I came across a problem with Cisco VPN client V5.0.06 I could not find all the above entries.

I know Cisco devices are proprietary, does that mean cisco vpn client is not compatible with those router ?

Thanks

I believe you will struggle to get the cisco vpn client working with non cisco routers.

Part of the cisco vpn client config is to set up the RASVPNGROUP and password which matches against entries in the cisco configuration. This then supplies all the transform sets (method for authentication, encryption etc) It's designed to make the cisco vpn client nice and easy to setup since most of the configuration is stored remotely on the cisco device.

Depending on the config of your sites the easiest method might be to simply setup up RRAS on windows and enable port forwarding through to this from the routers, and let windows handle the connections for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back