Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco VPN Client and NetBios

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbxnkey

Programmer
Aug 15, 2006
US
I have an customer with an ASA5505 with VPN Client connections. They are stating that when the clients connect they can access the resources on the network but they cannot browse the network (see the actual devices).
Is this supported or is there some config that need to be added to the group policy?

It has nothing to do with the ASA really - its just an IP thing.... NBT (NetBIOS over TCP/IP) and browse lists relies on WINS and/or broadcasts (does anyone still have a WINS server?). I am fairly sure as long as name resolution is working if a user connects to the VPN and then opens an explorer window and types the server name (\\server-10\) then it will appear. Opening Network Neighbourhood won't show you anything as this is reliant on WINS, Broadcasts and Browse Masters....
This is fairly depreciated behaviour anyway - even on a LAN. I don't think I have had NBT enabled for about 9-years - publish shares and if they need to 'browse' then let them search AD for the shared folders. Network Neighbourhood doesn't even exist on Windows 7 does it?

That is what they are looking to do. Open Network Neighborhood and see devices when connected via vpn client. They have a wins server.
They stated that on the previous firewall it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back