Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Unity voicemail mailbox is full message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

don1159

Programmer
Apr 30, 2009
US
I have a Cisco Unity system,callers receive the message that mailbox is full after leaving a message . Is there away to get the mailbox is full message before leaving a message ?

A pretty stupid design, isn't it?

I understand exactly what you're wanting to do. However, if there's a way to do it, I haven't yet found it. We were forever spoiled by the intuitive design of our 15 year-old Octel (Overture-250) system.

On the off-chance that this ability is buried somewhere down in the bowels of system setup, then the design team deserves another beating for setting such a ridiculous default.

If/when you move up to release 9.x software, the mail store can be (optionally) moved to your Exchange server and linked with MS Outlook, so when users delete their .wav file messages from Outlook it will delete them from Unity Cxn as well. We're looking at making this software upgrade within the next 90 days.

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

There is a way to lower the frequency of hearing this message by changing the Message Aging Policy to permanently delete messages in the deleted items folder
If not mistaken the default is 15 days - a good example would be 3 days or less
ADM > Message Storage > Message Aging > Aging Policies

Additionally confirm the mailbox Quotas size for mailboxes
ADM > Message Storage > Mailbox Quotas

db27:

Thanks for your post. However, I've looked at the specific settings you mention and still have the issue. Either we're setting it up wrong or else the description of the function is incorrect or else it doesn't work as described. It appears that UNITY CONNECTION (8.0.2) will not automatically age-out (and delete) any un-heard messages.

Ergo you then run into the problem where messages are being relayed via SMTP to the user's email inbox where they listen to them & delete the .wav file but never go back to UUCXN to delete the message.

It's just a poorly designed feature. We're looking forward to migrating our system to 9.x but corporate policy dictates that we cannot migrate to any N.0 release. The only reason we're at 8.0 now is because that's what was put on the system when it was installed. It's been a very stable load, no major issues that I'm aware of, but we sure need to be able to auto-purge mailboxes after some reasonable period of aging.

The messages DO AGE OUT once they've been listened-to (heard) on the server, but unless we're mis-configured somewhere it won't purge "new" messages regardless of their age.

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back