Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Unified Operations Manager and Service Monitor Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mw1234

Technical User
Feb 12, 2004
GB
Hi,

We are considering deploying Cisco Unified Operations Manager and Service Monitor as our Cisco Call Manager and VOIP infrastructure monitoring solution.

Has anybody here had any experience with this system that they would be prepared to share.

I'm keen to learn how good it really is and if there are any problems associated with it that I should be aware of.

Cheers,
Martin

I tried the eval copies of both and ended up not going forward with the purchase. I was mainly interested in getting alerts, monitoring server health and generating some CallManager reports. The product is this big bohemith (the install took me 50 min itself) but didn't really have that much functionality in the end, compared with say RTMT. I got the impression it wasn't written too well since the UI is really crap (popups all over the place -- I got lost all the time) and it was ultra non-intuitive as to setting it up.

They have synthetic tests which I tried to setup but you have to create all these fake phone entries in CallManager which is just another thing to manage. So, for just getting alerts, I would stick with RTMT. CallManager 5.1 has built-in server reports so I don't need it for reports.

I talked with some other admins I know and I the consensus was the same, Cisco should stick to selling boxes and leave software to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back