Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco topology change problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjb22

Technical User
Mar 18, 2003
GB

Hi all,

I am running a 100MB fibre LAN extension to one of my remote sites. Ever since it has been installed it hasn't been working correctly. At the remote site the link is going into a Cisco 3550, at the core a 2950.

From what I can see everytime there is a topology change on the network, it's causing this LAN extension site to become unusable. To get the site backup I have to manually shut down, and bring back up the port it connects to on the 2950. That seems to cure the problem.

I am running EIGRP btw.

Any ideas would be greatfully accepted.

Cheers

Matt

Matt,

at the end you said you are running eigrp??? is this a layer-2 trunking interface or are they in the same single vlan with IP's on both side for a sudo layer-3 connection?

that will help. If it's layer-2 trunking I may have the anser for you. Also (if it's layer-2) when you notice the TCN does one end go to "inactive" and that's why you have to bounce the interface?

thanks,
Lee

Thanks Lee,

In response to your question........

It is layer 2 trunking and no one end doesn't go inactive, it's always displayed as fast ethernet up, line protocol up at either end.

Thanks

You may want to double check some of your spantree settings on switches. A topology change can cause spantree algorithms to kick in and cause about 50 seconds of inactivity.

Make sure that all ports with a host (workstation, server) have portfast on. This will stop topology change notifications from happening there. Keep portfast OFF for uplink ports unless...you have a switch that has only one (and only one) path to it, you may turn on portfast for its uplink port. NOTE: This is not recommended, because you may add a redundant path later and forget that portfast is on. That can cause spantree loops...ick. But....if you know for a fact that you have no redundant connections to a switch, then turning portfast on for its uplink port will also help stop topology change notifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back