Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco TACACS & ACS

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewizard1972

Technical User
Sep 2, 2008
GB
Hi

Is it possible to setup Cisco ACS on the same server for TACACS & RADIUS authentication?

Currently i have this running on the same server but RADIUS users are able to telnet on to switches in user mode only.

All TACACS features have been disabled, level 0 etc same with the group but it's made no difference, has anyone got this working?

Slightly vague question but I'll try and offer some help...

With RADIUS authentication by default no Privilege Level is assigned by the RADIUS Server so they will be at Privilege Level 0. You can add the Cisco AV Pair 'shell:priv-lvl=15' so when a user authenticates they will automatically be at Privilege Level 15 (or other depending on the value you set). If the user wishes to change privilege level they enter 'enable' or 'enable x' where 'x' is the level required. What IOS does is send a new authentication request with the username '$enab15$' (or '$enab10$' if they wanted privilege level 10). The RADIUS server needs to reference a user account of the same name.

HTH
Andy

Andy

Thanks for the post, this has answered another question of mine.

The problem i have at the moment is that Radius account can telent to a switchand logon using their credential but only in user mode not exec.
Somehow i need to figure out how or what is going wrong. Why can a RADIUS account log onto Cisco Devices? Even though the account has no TACACS settings enabled? Makes no sense?

Would value any pointers..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back