Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cisco switch 2900xl used with unknown Ip address or name

Status
Not open for further replies.

wnterhawk

MIS
Nov 13, 2001
US
How do I access a used Cisco Switch with an unknown IP Address or name. I'm new to Cisco switching and need some help... getting started with it
Thanks

A+, Network+, and Security+ certified Being certified just shows you how much you don't know.

just go to the cisco.com site a search on password recovery for your model.

You can get a look at the startup output by connecting to the console port. Standard windows hyperterminal set to COM1 use 8 bits,1start, no parity. (aka 8,1& none). On power up the switch will go through its POST and then to a command prompt asking for a password but you should be able to get the device name.

Cisco password recovery depends on the console connection. It interupts the startup and lets you in to change the password. But be careful, if you don't get out of the process (called RMON)cleanly you can corrupt the access and be completly locked out.

I finally got onto the switch using the console and was able to follow the reset password procedure I found online... that got me in and I got to the ip address, as well as changed the password to one I use.
Thanks for your help though...

A+, Network+, and Security+ certified Being certified just shows you how much you don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back