Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco - Sun Incompatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBowen

Technical User
Jan 26, 2001
GB
I have a Cat5500 with Windows 2000 and Sun Microsystem servers attached into the 10/100TX line card. All are set to full duplex and 100Mbps. When the switch is downed for any reason, the ports with Windows 2000 servers attached keep their duplex and speed settings, but the ones with Sun Microsystems attached revert to half duplex 10 Mbps autonegotiate. These servers are running Solaris 8.

Any ideas on how to stop this happening would be great

regards,
Daniel

the odd thing about the auto negotiate is that if one side has it turned off the other side cannot autoneogiate on its own. Does not matter if they are PCs or Suns, once you hard code one side then you MUST hard code the other. Far better to let ethernet work like it should, with auto negoitate on.

Either leave the cicso on auto negotiate (best solution) or hard code the speed of the hme0 port on the suns (poor plan)

I only reccommenfd turning it off in 2 scenarios: 1) there is fiber in one part of the link, since the fiber cannot change speed or duplex, you have to hard code all the link. 2) both ends can do 100 full but the wire between them is not cat 5 and needs to go 10 I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

when it auto negoitiates it does to to half duplex 10mb, when it is a 100mb network card - that is the only problem. If you hard code the speed, it doesn't work at all.

Thanks for your ideas

Daniel,

E chance a Unix admin before you DID hard code the sun end? I had a batch of 2.4 boxes that some wonderful unix admin hard coded, took years to track them all down.

Another thought, this IS an hme0 interface right? not le0? cause le0 is a 10 meg interface I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

in /etc/system ( youll have to reboot )
set hme0:hme_adv_autoneg_cap=0
set hme0:hme_adv_100T4_cap=0
set hme0:hme_adv_100fdx_cap=1
set hme0:hme_adv_100hdx_cap=0
set hme0:hme_adv_10fdx_cap=0
set hme0:hme_adv_10hdx_cap=0

or use ndd to set it on the fly

# ndd -set /dev/hme autoneg_cap 0
# ndd -set /dev/hme 100T4_cap 0
# ndd -set /dev/hme 100fdx_cap 1
# ndd -set /dev/hme 100hdx_cap 0
# ndd -set /dev/hme adv_10fdx_cap 0
# ndd -set /dev/hme 10hdx_cap 0

As dennisbergman said, changing the /etc/system will lock the hme interface at 100FDX. The problem is SUN and the main switch manufacturers implememted autonegotiation differently and it doesn't work. To run 100MB FDX you have to lock both the switch port and the system interface.

Hmmm not having any trouble with Nortel Baystack 450's I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Havn't dealt with Baystacks but Cisco definitely have problems with Sun and autonegotiation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back