Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco SG300-28PP PoE Switch issue enabling L3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Hello all,
I have about 10 of these switches in the building and all but one seem to work fine. This one I was going to set up as a backup to one of the important switches but ran into a funky issue. I can configure it all day while it is in L2 mode. I can change IP addresses, change time and date, basically do whatever I want and it acts totally fine. Since I need this switch in L3 mode I have tried to change it to L3 without much luck. I can get it to go into L3 mode, sometimes. When I do get it to fully engage in L3 mode it will randomly timeout for minutes at a time while trying to do mundane changes. I have tried installing the latest firmware but the issue persists. I have totally reset the switch to factory and reconfigured multiple times but it still has the same issue. When I say timeout, I mean complete loss of communication between my configuring PC and the switch. Pings drop and browsers cannot talk to it.

Does anyone know if there is an issue with the later versions of the firmware? Has anyone had a similar issue and figured a way around it? Is this switch just doomed to be a L2 switch its entire life?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

I would start by comparing the firmware versions of the switch to the others that do not have the issue, out of curiosity mostly. Regardless, I suggest you reflash it to a different code version. If that fixes things, good. If not, use the same version as others. If that does not fix things, RMA the switch if you can. If not, throw it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back