Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco SDSL 678/PAT-NAT....How?...VPN/pcANYWHERE(pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsxtech

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2001
US
hello all my fellow IT Prof.

here is my situation.........

i am a consultant for a mid-sized corp. that has just ordered 7mbpUP/5mbDOWN(there a block away from the CO :) )

i have just started up the Cisco SDSL 678 router....everything is workin fine with the router itself

but.......first off let me say that i am pretty green to the cisco world(forgive me father for i have sinned)

well........now to the tech. stuff

we are running Win2k server/client, with one of the servers acting as a VPN/Proxy/pcANYWHERE server

the outside NIC interface on the VPN/Proxy/pcANYWHERE server is (192.168.10.2) and the inside NIC is (192.168.10.3)

now ....the Cisco router has an outside IP of (64.74.59.54) and the inside ip is (192.168.10.1)

right now the most critical thing i need to get done is have VPN and pcANYWHERE access to the VPN/Proxy/pcANYWHERE server....the cisco router seems to be blocking this communication

i have read and somewhat understand that i can get around this through the configuration efforts NAT/PAT, but cant find much if not any information on PAT? and when i do...its a bit confusing to me

below is a link to a VISIO network diagram to help you better understand my situation

"thank you all for you time and help" !!

-FS

What tunneling protocol are you using on the 2000 server PPTP, L2TP,IPSEC? Also you don't need 2 nic's in your situation especially if there on the same net and your VPN is internal with private addressing. You will need to configure a tunneling interface on the router with correct access-lists. I don't know to much about 675 if it is capable. If the router is capable then you will also need a nat static mapping pointing to the VPN server. Hope this helps.

thanx for the reply.....

we are using PPTP for VPN.....

The reason that i have two NICs on the server is because we had BellAtlantic(now Verizon) ADSL service and they use PPOE(dont know if your familar with it)and there DHCP server asigns a "Global IP" to the external NIC so therefore i need an "internal" NIC for security and authentication purpose

.....so i have been reading as much as i can about NAT/PAT and ACL, i understand the fundamentals and theory about what your saying has to be done, i just dont know "how" to do it "command" wise in the router

because....i am not to familar(understatment)with the Cisco IOS and therefore dont really know what "commands" to use

could you or someone out there in the forum please give me a list of commands or a step-by-step procedure for going about configuring the Cisco IOS NAT/PAT/ACL for the Cisco 678 SDSL router, i believe the router is running version 2.3.x(might better asist you in your reply)

again...."thank you all so much for you time and help"...i know how busy we all are :)

-fs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back