Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Router with 2 Wan ports for 2 DSL Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourheadns

Technical User
May 20, 2002
US
Good afternoon,

I'm really bummed out and have been trying to find a solution for over a month for our 2 DSL lines in our office.
The reason 2 ordered 2 DSL lines was not for failover/load balance reason, but for the 5 extra IPs that we needed on top of our current 5 public IPs that Qwest gave us. So we need a total of 10 and the only way that I could think of is to connect both the 2 DSL lines into one modem and have it route traffic to our Sonicwall Pro firewall (which will then translate one to one NAT). So my question is which product (CISCO?) or scenario would work for me.

FYI, I've tried many products, including the Nexland Pro800 router, and Rainwall software is out of the question because of budget reasons.

I was looking into the Cisco 1700 Series and it have 2 WIC slots, but I'm not sure if this will actually accept 2 DSL lines and enable one to one NAT from our many server private IPs to public IPs.

Would any of the Cisco PIX routers work? I've been told they may work.

It seems to me that the simple solution would have been to buy extra IP's alacarte from Qwest rather then spend the money on an extra DSL and upgraded router/software.
Good Luck.
GBA

If you can't get those extra IP's from Quest, and you end up going with the 2nd DSL line just to get the amt of public IP's you need, the Cisco 1700 series router will indeed do what you need. It has two WIC slots for modules (two ADSL WIC's, two ethernet WIC's, etc).

-Rainman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back