Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Router - unkown IP address and no serial console cable ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekka

Technical User
Jul 9, 2002
GB
Hi all,

Just obtained a used Cisco 803 router which powers up correctly however I have no idea what the IP address of the router is set at.

The router came with no Console cable and no software CD.

I have downloaded the CISCO fast step software from the net which runs correctly but does not find the router when it searches and asks for me to insert the console cable etc. which i do not have.

Basically can anyone tell me the following:

1. How I can find out the IP of the router
2. Reboot the router so it allocates the default ip (10.10.10.1 ?).

3. or the heck i can get it up and running....

Many thanks

Derek

No, the only way you are going to be able to get into the router is to get a console set, since you don't know the IP, if any, that is set to an interface. Console sets are cheap, just check ebay.com, you can get them for around $10.

burke

Hi
A console cable is the simplest and best solution. If it got a config, it probably has a password to. Anyway, if you need to find the IP address there are two "hard" ways to do that.

-Use a network sniffer
-Check from another cisco router directly connected to the 803 with the CDP protocol (show CDP neig). If you're lucky, the 803 is running CDP.

Anyway, a console cable is far quicker, and less work.

-katamann

once you find the ip, how will you hack the password?
Answer: you won't, get a console kit.

Hi guys,

You are making this far too difficult.

View the following link from Cisco (password recovery/803):

The hardest part will be making a console cable and figuring out what the break sequence is on your computer. Have no fear the above link contains it all.

I do this ten times a month; so I have all the faith in you.

cheers,
help24ca@yahoo.ca

Thanks for the info guys. Managed to get hold of a console cable and applied the password reset procedure which worked great!

Only problem now is the browsing of web pages is slower than what it was when I was using my ISDN TA.....strange.

I am wondering if compression on the router is disabled by default and if i need to enable?? - Any ideas?

Thanks

D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back