Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Router for 2 ADSL connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

afrogley

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2006
GB

Situation: Remote office site - 1/2 dozen users, a dozen IP phones, 2 broadband connections, 2 site2site VPNs to main office - 1 to phone network, the other to data network.
Currently on two separate ADSL routers and use static routes on the LAN (or change the device's router address) to get the traffic going the right way.
Bit of a pain as when one line goes down I have to faff about with static routes and VPN's all over the place to get the network back up and running.

Currently the ADSL routers are a Draytek Vigor 2000 series and the good old Netgear DG834g.
The netgear boxes are excellent - but not particularly stable - which as they are doing the S2Site vpn for the voice network isn't very helpful.
I've tried using the Vigor with it's WAN2 (ethernet) connected to the Netgear to direct traffic through to the right WAN gateway - but that just introduced too much lag on the voice network ...

Question: So - thinking about ramping up the quality of the network kit - I'm after a solution that I can put in place in the remote office that can handle 2 ADSL connections and site2site VPNs that will have a decent throughput and be able to give priority to voice traffic (identified by protocol or IP range). If a connection goes down it should be relatively easy to re-route the voice VPN and traffic. I'll also need a similar unit in the main office to replace the Netgear I use for the voice traffic. The Vigor in the main office does 3 other site2site VPNs and seems to be reasonably stable.

Whatever I put in place needs to be robust and able to be left alone for weeks rather than the days that I'm currently getting....

TIA

what do you mean by decent throughput ?
a 2600XM modular router could handle your VPN, ADSL connections, QOS and firewall/inspection, encryption with I believe around 15Mbps (2621XM) to 20.48Mbps (2651XM). Both these routers have room for 2 network modules which would be your ADSL modules.
HOWEVER they had an END-OF-SALE Announcement

The 2800 series routers have higher CEF switching capability/throughput, are still supported by CISCO and have the modules you are looking for:

hope this helps. cheers,

We must go always forward, not backward
always up, not down and always twirling twirling towards infinity.

thanks - decided that perhaps the higher end cisco units capable of multi modems were too expensive - so planning on 'just' replacing the adsl modems/routers for the voice network with 887's ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back