Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Router as DHCP server, but only for certain mac addresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tektipsblitz

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2011
CA
Would it be possible for me to get a Cisco 1760 router to act as a DHCP server, but for only certain MAC addresses? (Maybe using the access-lists?)

Every device not on this access list would get its IP address from a Windows server running DHCP.

The reason I ask is because I want different devices on to have different DHCP Options Tags. I have a DHCP option tag which points to an FTP server, and I want some devices to use a different FTP server. (On the software side - does anybody know of FTP software which could do this? e.g. serve different files based on the client's IP addresses?)

Dunno about a router, but I've set up DHCP pools using IOS in a 3560 series switch. I suppose you could use an access list using RADIUS to validate MAC addresses, but VLAN tagging might be easier. What I do for our WiFi SSIDs is use:
Code:
ip dhcp pool wifi
option 156 ascii "layer2tagging=1,vlanid=x"

Of course this requires that the end devices can be set up for 802.1Q VLAN tagging.

Hope this helps.

Your cisco router 1760 supports DHCP so you can set it up as DHCP server.
All depends on how complex is your network meaning how many subnets you have. In case you have one subnet then you must define how many and which devices need static addresses. Those static addresses must be excluded from the DHCP pool.
Commands are done in global config mode.

ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.10 - range of addresses

ip dhcp excluded-address 19.168.1.1 - specific address is excluded

ip dhcp pool ( put name of the poll)
network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 - so 10 addresses defined above will be excluded from this subnet the rest of addresses will be used for DHCP server.
default-router (ip address/subnet mask)

If you have more sunet you can create DHCP pools for the in the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back