Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cisco router 2600

Status
Not open for further replies.

WINSQLIIS

Technical User
Nov 21, 2001
US
I just installed a new cisco router 2600 on my network. I use it only for my internet traffic. After I connected the router to the LAN connections coming from the ISP. I started to notice that the connection was extremely slow. And sometimes the router drops some packets.
What can I do on the router to fix my problem? And how can I measure the traffic that is going through?

Thank you in advance for your help.

In this case, I would try "show process" or "show mem" to verify the router doesn't have CPU or mem problem.

show interface will give you better idea about the network error.

In fact, I would rather believe there is some hard connection problem. What kind of LAN connetion your IPS provides you? Are you sure it's ok?

Regards,

Jerry.

thank you for responding......
I have tried all of the things you mentioned. However, what I think I am missing is something in the configuration. And I don't know how to troubleshoot it. Because all I did was plug the two eithernet connections: one to my ISP and one to my network. I did not do anything to the router itself because I don't know if I need to or not.

Hi,
At the beginning, you mentioned " connection was extremely slow. And sometimes the router drops some packets". So I assume you do have the connection, but it's just too slow. Is it correct?

If so, you must have already got the correct IP address and routing protocol. Sometime a bad cable will cause bad network performance.

If not, you may have to know what's the routing protocol, IP range, and what kind of LAN connection etc.

Regards,

Jerry.

Could you post a router config!!

Take out any private stuff, of course!!

Chris.

sounds to me like he's got a problem possibly with the routing tables, or there is a sever bottle neck going into the router. Also, how many machines are on it?
If its more than 3 or 4, make sure you have a SWITCH and not a HUB sharing the connection to the router. That may be where you are losing packets. It will show the lost packets as being on that hop. To verify that your router is working properly, hook 1 computer directly up to the router (nothing but cat5 between it and you) and see if anything is dropped, if not, its a cabling/ switch problem. If so, its a problem with the router configuration, or possibly over heating. The 2600's get warm enough to cook a poptart if they don't have air space around them (yes, i've heated poptarts on them, the 7200 ubr's work well too) Also, contact your T-1 provider, and make sure there's nothing wrong with the circuit. Even if its a router configuration problem, and you own the router, they'll still fix it for you *sometimes*. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back