Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cisco router 1721 configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Aug 12, 2003
US
Hello,

I need help with setting up two cisco 1721 router thru point to point (leased line). How I'm supposed to configure the router.

If it is just a leased line then all you need to do is configure an IP Address on each interface and configure routing (using static routes or with a dynamic protocol such as EIGRP).

Cheers,
Michael.

I have a similar setup:
Two Cisco 1721's over leased fractional T1 (v.35 from CSU/DSU interfaced to WIC-1T serials)
I'm using HDLC encapsulation over the line. Each interface has an IP with the serials on a separate subnet. I used Cisco Config Maker to configure and delilver the configuration to each router. Using RIP2 routing protocol.

The problem:
No packets are being routed over the WAN.
From each end of the WAN, I can ping Eth0, but not Ser0. I can telnet into one router and ping the Ser0 interface on the other! But I can't ping the Ser0 Interface from the Eth0 interface on the same router(?) I've tried both Dynamic and Static routing. If I had to guess, (and I do!) I'd say it has to be a routing table issue.

(Is there blood dripping from my ears?)

Obviously I'm missing something basic here. This is my first leased-line router config.

Just guessing here:

You have serial 0 set to 172.16.1.1 255.255.0.0

You have Ether 0 set to 10.3.1.1 255.255.0.0

Go to to global config
type command:

router rip

then use command:

network 172.16.0.0

network 10.3.0.0

type exit, hit return

Make sure you have gateway of last resort set to the ISP router. Know though this gateway is on the router connected to the ISP, all other routers should point the gateway of last resort to the internal router connected to the ISP.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 24.26.28.1
(not the 24.26.28.1 is not the right address, just an example)

If I made this a confusing mess, just say, "Hey fool. What in the heck are you talking about?"

"Hey fool. What in the heck are you talking about?"

Thanks for all the help...I'm stilling have problem with my setup. I'm able to ping routers, workstation and server but i'm not able to see any workstation or server on the network. Please help!!!!!!!

By see, do you by chance mean the browser services in NT (network Neighborhood and what not)? If that is the case you need to set the workstations up with wins/activ directory or dns.
If that is the case your remote locations will either need a DHCP server set up as a push pull partner with wins or active dir, or you need to use the IP helper configuration to allow certain braodcast information like DNS and wins/netbios accross the wan. After doing that you need to tell the workstations where to get the information. Hope that makes sense.

2876, I have the same problem! Did you resolve your problem?

Did you folks remember to add a clockrate to your serial interfaces?

If they have external CSU/DSU, that will provide clocking so no need to add clockrate to serial interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back