Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Pix 515 with 2 Nic cards - slowing down network

Status
Not open for further replies.

zentastic

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2005
US
Hi all,

I am in a predicament where I have 2 nic cards with an old cisco pix 515. One card is used for our vpn/web services and internet access, the other is for a connection to an intranet application server at our main branch. Lately, we have been training on a new application from the main branch via a separate T1 line. Now it seems as if our firewall needs to be rebooted more often now and causes our network to come to a complete halt.

Would adding another firewall router exclusively for the application server be in my best interest or am I missing something or doing something wrong. Logistically, if I do go with an exclusive firewall/router for the application server, how would I have the 2 firewalls co-exist on the same network?

The Pix shouldnt be causing that bad of an issue. Try capturing your processor utilization and memory when the slowness occurs. What type of application is it?>

The PIX should not need to be rebooted if correctly configured. Which version of code is the PIX running?

Remember that VPNs cna throw a VERY heavy load against the processor if you have too many of them at once connected. At best, the old 515 can only pass 10Mbps of VPN traffic and that is optimal. The 515 is a pretty decent performing firewall even with a few VPNs running. RAM is important, how much do you have? At least 64Meg I would hope if you have alot of connections.

MikeS

Home of the book "Network Security Using Linux"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back