Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CISCO PIX 515 ¦ Bios flash ¦ what about router config ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSaint99

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
GB
Hi,

I want to upgrade my Cisco PIX 515 firewall from 4.4 to the new 6.0 or 6.1 version. But when I go flash the firewall's BIOS, is my firewall configuration being preserved? And if not, how can I back it up?

Also I like to know the easiest way to back up my current image of my BIOS.

Thnx all,
TheSaint99

HI.

* It is recommended to acquire your DES activation key from CISCO, and apply it in the same time when upgrading OS.
This will be later required if you need encryption, for VPN or other tasks.

* It is also recommended to install PDM after the OS upgrade, so you can later use it.

* Your config should be preserved after the upgrade, but it is recommended to back it up in any case.

* A simple way to backup the PIX configuration is to type SHOW CONFIG and copy it to a text file, or to capture text file directly from your terminal/telnet program.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

Be careful. Some people have lost configuration when updating the PIX OS using monitor mode. That is an option for you since you have a 515 (you are diskless).

Actually the easiest way to back up your configuration is the "write tftp" command. This will write the config to the tftp server. You can load a config from there also.

Write down your activiation key. That whats shows up at the bottom of your 4.4 "show version" command.

Yeah, you'll need a DES key.

Liberty for All,

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back