Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco LAB switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddevil2

Technical User
May 20, 2007
GB
Hi Guys
I have a CISCO LAB at home that comprises of three routers, 2x 2503 and 1x 2610, I ahve set the clockrate on 1x 2503 routers and set all IP's and can ping one from the other, since receiving guidance from one or many of you in the routing forum.
My problem is in my LAB I have two switches that are of the 2950 series I have set IP address on them but cannot ping them from the routers or the other way round.
As I have to use my wives laptop to access the routers and switches, as my main PC has no COM serial port to connect them to, so I cannot easily send the configuration set to you with re typing it all out.
Anyway I wa just wondering if you had any ideas as to why I cannot ping from switch to router or the other way round, I have tried everything that I learnt for the CCENT but to no avail as of yet. What have I missed anyone know????

M Steele
Network+
CCENT

reddevil2 ,

As far as the COM port - you can get a USB to Serial (DB9)for about $13 like this -

Then you can connect to your lab without any issues!!! You can find them cheaper on Ebay but that would be up to you, I have had GREAT luck with Anthony Panda!!

Other wise it would be very hard to determine without seeing your show run!!

Do a "show IP route" - are you seeing all the networks in your routing table, hard to ping something if the routing table does not know where that network is!

If you are not seeing the networks in the "show ip route" then make sure you setup your routing protocols!

If you run a "hardwire" - Ethernet from your PC to the switch, change the IP on your PC to the range of the switch and the router port that the switch is connected to, then you can telnet to the router and do a show run command!

Example -

192.168.1.X network
PC ------2950 switch--------2610 router------2503-----2503
1.3 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.1

With this setup set your PC IP to 192.168.1.3 and the gateway to 192.168.1.1 and you will be able to "telnet" into the router and run same commands as you did with console cable. OR get the adapter above!!!

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

As ciscoguy said most new pcs lack a serial port anymore so you have to get a usb to serial adaptor , i got one from tripplite and it works fine once you figure out which com port it assigns it to , never seems to be the same one . :)

viper,
Mine is even stranger in Vista.. I bought the "Radio Hack" USB to Serial adapter... Always COM 3 on my laptop but for some reason it will only work on ONE SPECIFIC USB port! If I reboot and try to use another it will not work! I think it is because of the hacked driver I was forced to use.. (Garmin USB to serial driver for GPS.. LoL) It works! But that is the only strange issue!

Here is a link for anyone that runs into that issue.. Radio Shack USB to serial does not work with Windows Vista... Here is the driver download.. (Enough Keywords???)

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

I have a Prolific and it works in any port just fine in Vista.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back