Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco L3 switch for new Gig-E Internet- Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hummer3331973

Technical User
Feb 1, 2007
US
Hi-

Our company is planning to upgrade our Fast-E to a new Gig-E Internet connection. I'm currently in a look-out for a Layer 3 switch to replace the current 3750. What do you guys suggest? I won't be running any fancy routing such as BGP so no particular need for higher memory models. I do however think a 10-G ready port is a necessity.

I forgot to mention that this is via Ethernet hand-off, so no need for fiber modules.

Do a price comparison between:
3750X
HP5800
Juniper EX4200
Procurve 5406

They're all good. Procurve doesn't do "stacking", but it is modular.

Thanks Vince. I do have a preference for Cisco, which is why I think 3750 is a good choice.

But if you're on a cross-road and have to decide if using an L3 switch vs. a router (ie 29xx or 39xx), which would you end up choosing?

What I do is make a table where I list all the requirements, eg, L2 or L3, PoE, dual-power-supply, no. of switchports, etc..., across the top line, then make a line for each switch model I might consider and compare its specifications to the requirements.

--> I'm currently in a look-out for a Layer 3 switch to replace the current 3750... I won't be running any fancy routing such as BGP so no particular need for higher memory models. I do however think a 10-G ready port is a necessity.

A L3 switch should be fine unless you are planning major routing changes, even then a L3 switch with advanced enterprise IOS should do the job. A 10G capable router is very expensive vs a L3 switch. As a side note, why are you looking at a 3750 for your edge? If you are planning on stacking then a 3750 is the way to go but if it is a standalone device then a 3560X would probably fit your needs.

--> But if you're on a cross-road and have to decide if using an L3 switch vs. a router (ie 29xx or 39xx), which would you end up choosing?

A L3 switch can do most things a router can do with a few exceptions - VoIP/call manager, WAN connections for example. As Vince said, make a list of requirements and see what device fits your needs.

You don't mention anything about IP addressing but typically you won't be exposing your internal IP networks to the Internet directly and typically a router/NAT device will sit in between the Ethernet handoff and your LAN. None of the stackable switches do NAT so you will probably need a router as well. If you want L3 then go for the new Catalyst 3850 switch and a 2900 series router would be my recommendation.

Andy

I tend to consider that a layer3 switch gives much better LAN performance, so I tend to try to keep LAN routing (especially in the data centre) on L3 switches and use routers as a lower-speed edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back