Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdeike

Technical User
Nov 26, 2007
US
It has been awhile since I have been on this forum. We have switched from our Nortel to a Cisco System about 6 years ago.:( Over the past two years we have a growing issue with the Cisco Phones basically going out and putting the Network Port in a Error Disabled Status. The only way to get it back is to move the phone to a different port on the Network Switch. As anyone else encountered this issue before? Cisco is completely useless on the issue. Their brillant ideas was to remove the data vlan off that port. Did not help the issue, it is still happening. This effects all models of phones that we run (7941, 7961, 7970, and 7937 phones) It happens more on the 7937 phones then the others. Any ideas or suggestions?

The only thing I have seen remotely to this is a switch port setting that if you attempt to tether from the back of the phone for a laptop say, the port is disabled. I don't know if this is the condition you are having or not.

Always look out for the next tech. because one day it will be you!

With the 7937 series phone you do not have the option to tether a laptop into the back of the phone. That is 70% of where our issues are accuring. We are sort of lost on this one since nobody can define what the issue is and Big Brother Cisco is a completely useless on resolving the issue.

its prob port security on the switch. this stop the amount of diff devices that can be conected so plugging in a diff laptop or phone on the port eventually locks it out that is why it works on a diff port

Seen this with Cisco switches, we use Aastra's. It is a security setting, the switch port has to be put in a certain mode to allow it.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Do you know what the setting is?

I saw this happen once with CatOS and a bug with port security. Disabling port security cleared the issue.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back