Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco equipment recommendations 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoujinZ

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2007
US
I know this questions has been asked before and I have read the link. Which of course was useful, but I what to go a little more specific on the subject.

I apologize ahead of the time for such a long winded question and if this is the wrong place to ask but I just want to make sure I start off on the right foot and get what I need the first time rather than upgrading at a later time for other advanced Cisco certs!!

I am looking to get my Cisco certifications and I want to build a home lab that I can practice on.

I have been searching online for used equipment that is cheap and I have been able to find some good stuff but my problem is I am just not sure exactly what is the best setup to have.

I have found the following items for sale from users on eBay and other sites and wondering if you guys can give me your honest opinion on what I should get and a decent price that I should pay for the equipment.

Here is a list of stuff I have found from a private seller who says to make him an offer for the bundle or individual pieces - but I have no idea what to offer!!:
x1 ubr905
x1 ubr924
x1 7960G IP Phone
x1 871W
x2 Cisco 2501
x1 WS-3524-XL-EN
x1 Cisco 2511 DC
x1 Cisco 2610 + WIC1T
x2 Cisco 2514
x1 Cisco 2502
x1 Cisco 2522
x1 Cisco 2521
x1 Cisco 2520
x1 Cisco PIX515E-UR-VAC+-6FE

Or should I just go for something like what I have found on eBay? Such as this: or this:

One the plus side of eBay is that these sellers offer study material with their equipment, but I am sure I can find that elsewhere.

Unfortunately I am in a huge hurry to try and purchase this stuff since these things can go quickly. So if there are some Cisco Certified techs out there that have been through this themselves and can give me the low-down on what they think I would GREATLY appreciate it!!

Thank you guys in advance for all the tech support that you have provided on this site as it has helped me so many times before!!!

-allen

Well..the great Cisco answer...it depends. What certs specifically are you looking at?

For my CCNA/NP certs, I was able to do almost all the labs I wanted with just a couple of 2500 series routers and a couple of 2950 switches.

I'd stay away from the 3524XL. It's a good switch, but there are somethings that it can't do anymore.

I liked the 2507 series routers because it had hub built in so you could easily connect over ethernet without any aui transcievers.

If you aren't planning on doing the Security track, you could stay away from the PIX, same with Voice and the phones.

Just my $.02 though.

RoujinZ,

It has been said here many times - "Google" is your best friend!!!

When I was building my CCNA/CCNP lab several years ago - as I scanned eBay - I "googled" EVERYTHING - I learned soooooo much about Cisco routers, switches and other hardware.

lerdalt had some good advice above - the CCNA is about basic routing, switching and networking! With a few 2500 routers (I like them maxed with 16DRAM and 16FLASH and the newest IOS they will take - this is where google becomes your best friend :) you can do most of the routing concepts that the CCNA will throw at you - you can even config one of the 2500's as a Frame Relay switch.

You will need a newer router to practice with the GUI interface - I think it is on the 2600XMs and above - READ the older posts here about routers and labs - you will learn tons!

As for switches you will need 2 to 3 of these - they have been covered in detail by Burt in prior posts!

I am not "Googling" any of this but from memory here is what I think -

ubr905
ubr924 - These are older routers and I I think these were used or could be used to setup a "test" VoIP network.

7960G IP Phone - as lerdalt said

871W - This is a good/newer Ethernet router W is wireless access point and runs about $300 to $500 new - Cisco sold these to "Academy students for $300 but they are $500 at CDW etc.

Cisco 2501 - Good "old" router with 1 Ethernet AUI port

WS-3524-XL-EN - as lerdalt said

Cisco 2511 DC - DC (does not have a power supply) router used as reverse telnet router to console into all you equipment from 1 place - need "octal" cables to connect to other routers - these are great for labs but mine is NOT a DC model.

Cisco 2610 + WIC1T - good 10base t router with 1 Ethernet port

Cisco 2514 - Good "old" router with 2 Ethernet AUI ports

Cisco 2502 - Token Ring router - good because it has 2 serial interfaces but TR not on CCNA any longer - you can still do all the commands on it - but only if it like $5 to $10 as an EXTRA router in the mix.

Cisco 2522
Cisco 2521
Cisco 2520 - these 3 "old" routers have many serial interfaces (like 6 or 8 ) and are GREAT as a Frame Relay switch - I think the 20 and 22 are the Token Ring models but this does not matter because you are using them for Frame Relay and the multi serial interfaces they have!!!!

Cisco PIX515E-UR-VAC+-6FE - as lerdalt said

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

A big fat THANK YOU to all three of you guys!

This has been extremely helpful and is definitely going to be useful in helping me choose the right equipment without going overboard on the budget.

Now I know what equipment to narrow it down to so I can try to hurry and get started.

You guys are the reason I enjoy visiting this site!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Oh one last question: With so many different study guides and books and tutorials and courses, what do you guys recommend as the best material to use for self-learning? And does it vary on the type of equipment you have or the cert you want to aquire?
I want to start off of course with the CCENT/CCNA and work my way up either a CCSP or CCNP, still havent decide that far yet.

Thanks again!

Ultimately, I recommend a 2503 router, two 2620 routers, one a 2620XM, so you can practice with SDM, which is now part of CCNA) and three switches, preferably 2950's (the 12 port will do), but the 2924XL are a bit cheaper, they won't do what the 2950 will do VLAN and VTP-wise. The thing to do is set the 2503 up as a frame relay switch, and practice things over a NBMA network, such as OSPF, and split-horizon with RIPv2, and see how multiple subinterfaces on one physical interfaces can affect routing updates in distance vector routing protocols with split horizon enabled...things like that. A big part will be VLAN and VTP stuff.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back