Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco ATA186 Analog Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

namesrhard2pick

Technical User
Nov 26, 2007
US
ATA186 is plugged into Cisco switch at 10Mb/Half-Duplex. Port 1 of ATA186 is configured and terminates to Canon fax machine. Port 2 also configured and not terminated.

Issue: When a fax call is made to the extension assigned to port 1, fax tone is heard but the connection is not made. When I call forward the extension assigned to port 1 to another machine the call terminates with no problem. When I remove call forward and plug line into a different fax machine, same result. Fax tone heard but connection not made. I plugged port 1 of the ATA into a analog phone and could have a two-conversation. I have confirmed auto-answer is set on the fax machines.

Any further recommendations will be helpful. Not sure what else to check on the ATA side.

Faxes and ATAs can be a bit hit and miss! Make sure that you are using G711 (not G729) compression. Also, I believe that port 2 only ever uses G711 compression, whilst port 1 can use G729 as well, so I normally put faxes in port 2, and phones in port 1.

I have a separate region for faxes, with an associated device pool, which uses G711 between itself, and ALL other regions. I then associate the relevant ATA ports into this Device Pool.

Good luck!

Good feedback. did you have to configure the ATA fax passthrough feature by any chance? I saw this in the documentation. Where do I verify the G compression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back