Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Asa 5510 - P2P communications ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsupportOne

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2008
US
Morning all,

Not sure if this is in the correct part of the forum, but this is in regards to P2P communications with the Cisco asa 5510. I'll explain the topology and what I"m trying to achieve here.

In a nutshell, I'm on the opposite end of a P2P tunnel (we'll call it site B..this is where all my physical hardware is located 5 servers and asa).

Site A is the new cabinet we have set up for collocation at the data center. I pretty much configured site B (asa outside) with the outstide static to get to the internet over the P2P from B to A...no problem.

Here is my ? /to make sure I'm in the ballpark on. I'm going to physically move the ASA from site B to site A and plug in the outside lan drop there in the cabinet at site A to the outside port on the asa

I also have a drop in that same cabinet (site A) for the P2P connection back to the office (site B)....I'll plug that P2P drop into the inside lan port cofigured for the inside on the asa.

All ports from ASA through P2P switches to site B are set for auto sensing. I figure a simple power up of the ASA on site a and possibly power cycle on P2P switches and I'll be halfway complete (site B will be online from A) ????

Then I can go onto step B and move my hardware over to site A (DC controller, exchange..etc) and attach them to an auto sense switch and run the P2P into that switch and a cross over from that same switch to my ASA inside to complete the collocation and run 100% off site A which is the new data center location. ??????

Am I in the ball park here. All IP addressing will remain the same basically whether i'm on either site since all I really have going is a P2P from A to B.

The goal is to have Site A up and Site B can completely go down and company (remote users) can still operate...right now site B is the hot site.

I'll diagram if you need. Thanks.

so you're running a lan-to-lan vpn between site a and b as well as a private connection between the two??

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Thanks for the response unclerico,

There is no vpn between the sites at all. Just a lan-to-lan basically if that is the more appropriate term.

I had the ISP carrier basically create it for me from the cabinet at the datacenter to the office site. Almost like running an ethernet cable from site to site using ATT fiber.

you should be ok. does site B also have an Internet connection??

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

thanks again for the reply unclerico,

right now all internet services are propogating down to site B from site A (the datacenter)

to give you a clear picture. The internet services are up right now on site B right even though there is no actual (services) at the site...I"ll explain.....

I have the asa here at site B configured with the outside static provided by site A to go outside the datacenter. Those services propogate down the P2P trunk to the ASA and LAN, so the site is actually on the web, via the trunk, then goes outside the datacenter (site A)

if the trunk (p2p) were to go down at this very moment...no internet sevices here at facility, but site A datacenter will still be up and running if this helps clear up things.

I pretty much have the P2P connection plugged into the outside port of the ASA on site B.

I figured once I set up ASA on site A and plug in P2P connection as I explained in early post....services will propogate down the pipe as normal (after recycle)

what is your opinion on this? Again thanks.

I'm figuring worst case, I'll need to bring over my domain controller with the asa to make sure dns services relay down to site B via the p2p if site B has no services to go over internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back