Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco Aironet 1200 to existing wireless network as a bridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimgoodall

Programmer
May 27, 2010
GB
Hi Folks,

Hoping you can help me! Here is my scenario:

In my main building (building A) I have an existing wireless router (Linksys WRT160Nv2) connected to by broadband connection providing wireless services (no encryption, wireless MAC filtering enabled - I have copied the MAC filter list including the addresses of the router and AP) with my Windows 2003 small business server wire connected to one of the ethernet ports.

In a second building (building B) (within wireless range of building A, but not practical to run a cable) I have an ESXi server, a basic switch and a Cisco 1200 Aironet access point.

What I would like to do is use the access point in reverse; so use the same SSID as the Linksys (bond them together somehow?), have the ethernet port on the 1200 connected to the switch along with the ESXi server allowing traffic from building A's lan flow onto that of building B: so I would be able to access the ESXi server from the W2k3 SBS server.

I have tried this but I just end up with two island wireless networks with the same SSID.

Does anyone know if this is this even possible?

Thanks

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back