Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 8851 Initial Boot Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhill803

Technical User
Aug 26, 2010
US
Recently I have come across several brand new out of the box Cisco 8851 phones that will not boot past Cisco start screen.

CUCM System version: 10.5.2.21900-1

Active Load ID out of the box seems to be sip88xx.11-0-1-11

Pushing Load ID sip88xx.12-7-0001-393 on connection to network

Any ideas or string of phone keying code to try on phone to shock or revive?

Too big of a jump. Load a different 11.x firmware. Have them try to pull that. I think you might need a lower 12.x to jump to 12.7 too.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice
CCNP Voice

8851boot_qqjf4c.jpg

Ok I have tried multiple things.

I have tried holding down the * key when connecting to the network to Reboot from the Backup Image - Doesn't pass

I have tried holding down the # key when connecting to the network to Reset the Phone to the Factory Settings from the Phone Keypad 123456789*0# - Doesn't pass

I have taken the MAC and copied from a working phone and lowered the LOAD to try boot - Doesn't pass

Any other suggestions or am I at the point where I chalk it up to RMA ????

the firmware load is currupt - seeing as the phone is not even getting to the point where the network is 'up' (ie DHCP etc) the only solution is to have the phone hardware-repaired.

I have done loads of these, the number 1 fault with the 8811/41/51's. Unlike the good old 79xx series there is no low level boot loader built in as designed, so no recovery procedure at all.

I can't share how i go about fixing these but suffice to say it is a compnent level hardware repair.

all the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back