Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 8841 SIP Configuration, a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLSbutton

Technical User
Mar 2, 2010
US
Hi there, If I purchase a Cisco 8841 from an authorized Cisco dealer, can I use an 8841 on Pure SIP from a SIP provider such as VOIP.MS or on a SIP soft switch? If so, is the SIP firmware preloaded to where I can modify the IP Server Address, Port, etc straight from the phone itself? Or do I need to modify extensive lines of code, similar to what I have done with a SIP 7970.

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Enthusiast

8841 sets are SIP only so they come with sip firmware. 79xx sets were SCCP protocol sets with SIP as on option.

Thanks Whykap.

Is there any place you can assist me to go to get SIP firmware loaded onto the 8841 when I purchase it, and how I can modify the code to work on a third party server. I was looking at the Cisco documentation and I read something that the 8841 can work on Broadsoft, Asterisk, etc.

It comes with firmware loaded, all cisco phones do. You should be good to go.
As far as configuration changes go for third party softswitches I've never done it.

Hey thanks again Whykap.

Is the phone plug and play to where I can modify the server IP Address/Port/Username/Password right on the phone, or do I need to set all the settings on a TFTP server and modify the code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back