Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 871 - Offbeat VPN question

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaferbus

MIS
Dec 7, 2002
US
I have a user that needs 24/7 access to our office network, so I set up an IPSEC VPN connection from her home (871 router in client-mode) to our 881 router at work. She has a cable modem with dynamic IP address. Thanks to lots of help from this forum, it works fine.
Now that user is leaving the company, and her replacement needs the same access, also has a dynamic IP cable modem - BUT - unlike her predecessor, she has multiple computers, teenagers, and such all using the ISP-provided wireless router that comes with thier service.
I want to cause as little disruption as possible to their personal internet access (and really don't want to get involved either!), so my question is this:
If I just plug the WAN port of the 871 into one of the ethernet ports on their router and connected only her (work) PC to it, would the tunnel work? Or would getting NATted twice screw it up? (This is assuming of course that the cable company's router has VPN passthru capability).

I'm just hoping to get an idea of whether that's even worth testing, or whether I should go another route (ha ha)

Nope should juts work, same concept as the ASA5505 in client mode. I have tested them in a 4 layer natted network no issues...

CCNP

You are correct ISPKing, it works just fine!

I also discovered that most (consumer) routers have VPN passthru enabled by default. I've tried it with several, and they were all plug and play.

Sure made my install cleaner :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back