Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CISCO 831 Default Gateway 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

psbucs

Technical User
Sep 27, 2003
US
I am in the beginning stages of testing a CISCO831 Router on A DSL Line I have in my office. I want to be able to us the DSL Line as a backup for my office network just in case the frame relay the office uses to connect to the WAN suffers an outage. The problem I am having is that I am unable to connect to the internet via my default gateway when I use a different ip address (10.10.10.3) as the default gateway within the same subnet as my assigned router ip address (10.10.10.1). subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 .... any ideas or comments on how I can fix this problem would be appreciated ... if more information is required please let me know ... Thank you ....

Hi,

I am not sure I understand you completely TBH but I will try anyway...

1.) If you are talking about the next hop from your router, then you cannot change that as it is on your ISP's side.

2.) If you were talking about your PCs' default-gateway, then hypothesising that your router is in "routing mode" and not "bridging mode", then your external interface and internal interface have to be in different subnets. Also your default gateway would be the router's LAN interface not the external interface.

I am not sure whether they will be relevant to you or not but here are a couple of links which I hope will help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back