Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 801 Passwords - no progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

markchimes

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2002
AU
Hi benzito,

I tried the url you suggested. Everything seemed fine until near the end. I received the following error message:

WARNING: no valid "boot system" command. TinyROM will pick an IOS image to boot.

The changes I made to the passwords has made no difference to our access. The router still advises that the entry we make is incorrect.

Cheers

Yes.
The document on this url provided commands and an example. the example did not match the list of commands. I tried both and a few variations of the two, but this made no difference.

Is there a hardware jumper that will clear the config?

cheers

Mark,
I don't believe there's a way to reset @ the board level. Exactly when did you recieve the error msg? Password recovery on cisco boxes varies somewhat b/t series but it's very similar throughout. The main thing is to set the config register to 142, reboot the router, once the router reboots you'll want to skip the initial config setup <Type no after each setup question>. Then type &quot;enable&quot; at the router> prompt. Then type &quot;copy star run&quot; which copies your startup config to your running config. Next, do a show run to find the current passwords. Whether or not you make any changes after this point just be sure to set the config register back to 2x2102. To do this go to config mode <conf t> from your enabled router prompt and type &quot;config t&quot;. once in config mode, type the command &quot;config-reg 0x2102&quot; and exit config mode. Type &quot;copy run start&quot; to save the changes and to hardset the register back to x2102 and that should do it.

If you're still having problems, paste the whole password recovery session from the router in a post and I'm sure somebody will be able to help. <Make sure to leave out any passwords or ip addresses>

benzito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back