Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cisco 800, Dual DSL, Load balance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varmit57

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2007
US
I run a remote location and we have a Cisco 800 Series Router (Cisco 871) that we are using to VPN back to Headquarters for Proxied Internet access and corporate Email. Our Internet provider can’t get us any faster DSL so they suggested putting in a 2nd DSL at the same speed and doing load balancing?

Is this router capable of doing that, is there something else I need to do, or is this even feasible?

They load balance by default...you mean bond them, perhaps? Multilink config should do it, but I am not sure about adsl...is it synchronous or asynch?

Burt

Asynch I think. How do I connect both Modems to the Router? Do I use a switch or can the auxiliry port be used as a 2nd WAN port?

as cisco 871 only support one dsl interface, you 1700 or 2600 or any modular 2800 router to put two dsl interfaces and configured multilink feature. it will do load balancing by default.

I would do it with a 2620 or a 2800 with 2 adsl wics, actually...I am not sure about the 871.

Burt

your router will need two adsl interfaces.. and one lan interface..

so if you want to go the cheap route and do a 1700 with two wic-1enets for the wan and use the fa0 for the lan it would work but youde probably be pushing it..

any 2600 or 2800 router would start to get quite a bit more pricy.. as youll either need a ethenet nm or like burt mentioned adsl wics...

my 1760 handles two dsl connections pretty well.. one is 5mb and one is 6mb but i think that the lower end 1700 would probably be pushing it..

Has anyone used any of the 1800 series with this application?

the 1800 would be a good choice..
you have many options.. if you wish to use the external adsl modems then you will likely need to add a
HWIC card..

as youll need 3 ethernet interfaces to get the job done..
the adsl wics would be a sexier solution but they would bring the cost up a bit im sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back