Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cisco 800 and ddr

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostage

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2003
GB
I have a cisco 800 series which i need to configure to access three sites. two use chap and one does'nt use any authentication.I intend to use legacy ddr which allows me to acheive most of what i want to do, however i am confused on how to contact the site without chap, when i have told the interface that im usng chap. I also note that even though there is only one physical isdn port, that the show interface command shows three. Does all three interfaces bri0,bri1,bri2 use the one physical port, if it does then i could simply setup the none chap connection on an alternate interface. help would be appreciated as ddr was'nt covered that much on the ccna course,as its old technology.

when you "show ip int brief", do you see those interface like "bri0/0:1", "bri0/0:2"..?

I suggest you use dialer profiles instead of legacy ddr:

Router1:

!
hostname router1
!
username router2 password 0 ppppassword
!
interface BRI0/0
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool-member 1 max-link 2
isdn switch-type basic-net3
!
interface Dialer1
ip address a.b.c.1 255.255.255.0
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool 1
dialer idle-timeout 180
dialer string 0123456
dialer load-threshold 1 either
dialer-group 1
ppp authentication chap
ppp multilink
!
dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit
!

Router2:

!
hostname router2
!
username router1 password 0 ppppassword
!
interface BRI0/0
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool-member 1 max-link 2
isdn switch-type basic-net3
ppp authentication chap
!
interface Dialer1
ip address a.b.c.2 255.255.255.0
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool 1
dialer idle-timeout 180
dialer string 0654321
dialer load-threshold 1 either
dialer-group 1
ppp authentication chap
ppp multilink
!
dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit
!

If your IOS version is above 12.2, then you can use "ppp multilink links min 2" instead of dialer load-threshold 1 either" on dialer interface and "dialer pool-member 1 max-link 2" on physical interface.

Btw any reason to use null authen on one of your connection? I'm not sure if you can configure 2 dialer interfaces with authen and one without. At least I didn't try that.

And you know...ISDN is still in the current CCIE R&S scope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back